What is “Self Love” and how do we practice this?
Do you hear what I hear?
Self-love is a popular term today that gets tossed around in normal conversation. “You have to love yourself more.” “Why don’t you love yourself?” “If you only loved yourself, this wouldn’t have happened to you.” “You can’t love another person until you love yourself first.”
These are just a few of the self-love directives that we give or get to suggest a way to more living fulfillment.
Self-love is important to living well. It influences who you pick for a mate, the image you project at work, and how you cope with the problems in your life. It is so important to your welfare that I want you to know how to bring more of it into your life.
what is “Self Love” then?
What is self-love, then? Is it something you can buy in a beauty makeover or a new set of clothing?
Can you get more of it by reading something inspirational?
Or, can a new relationship make you love yourself more?
The answer to all of these questions is No!
Although they feel good and are gratifying, you can’t grow in self-love through these types of activities. Since, self-love is not simply a state of feeling good.
Self-love is a state of appreciation for oneself that grows from actions that support our physical, psychological and spiritual growth.
Self-love is dynamic; it grows by actions that mature us.
When we act in ways that expand self-love in us, we begin to accept much better our weaknesses as well as our strengths, have less need to explain away our short-comings, have compassion for ourselves as human beings struggling to find personal meaning, are more centered in our life purpose and values, and expect living fulfillment through our own efforts.
The Great Louise Hay once said
“When people start to love themselves more each day, it’s amazing how their lives get better. They feel better. They get the jobs they want. They have the money they need. Their relationships either improve, or the negative ones dissolve and new ones begin.”Louise Hay
What is love anyway?
Life is a voyage of self discovery……….
To me, to be enlightened (Within your own light)It’s not selfish to love ourselves. It clears us so that we can love ourselves enough to love other people. We can really help the planet when we come from a space of great love and joy on an individual basis.
It is to go within and to know who and what we really are, and to know that we have the ability to change for the better by loving and taking care of ourselves.
The Power that created this incredible Universe has often been referred to as love.
GOD IS LOVE
We have all often heard the statement: Love makes the world go ’round.
It’s all true. Love is the binding agent that literally holds the Universe together… its an energy.. a frequency.. a FORCE….
To me, love is a deep appreciation.
When I talk about loving ourselves, I mean having a deep appreciation for who we are. We accept all the different parts of ourselves—our little peculiarities, the embarrassments, the things we may not do so well, and all the wonderful qualities, too.
We accept the whole package with love. Unconditionally.
What if I do not know how to love myself?
Listen, I definitely know how hard it is to step out of the box and truly see things from a different perspective…..
Unfortunately… society has had some very horrible habits in the past couple of thousands of years….. but that is why YOU are here! YES YOU…..
Each one of us walking the planet at this time came here to discovery LOVE and to understand it and to finally break through those barriers into a newer and better tomorrow for all of humanity…
but it starts with each of us individually….
Society teaches us that it is not ok to love thy self and unfortunately most people are trained to put “Conditions” on LOVE….especially self-love.
They say “I will love myself when I lose weight” or “I will love myself when I get the ideal job”…. or the house, or the mate, or whatever it is that society has taught them to believe they need to accomplish before they can start to focus on loving themselves
BUT YOU CAN CHANGE THAT…….
CHANGE YOUR MIND AND YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!
CHANGE YOUR PERCEPTION AND YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR BELIEFS…..
We are in the midst of enormous individual and global change. I believe that all of us who are living at this time chose to be here to be a part of these changes, to bring about change, and to transform the world from the old way of life to a more loving and peaceful existence.
In the Piscean Age we looked “out there” for our savior: “Save me. Save me. Please take care of me.”
Now we are moving into the Aquarian Age, and we are learning to go within to find our savior.
We are the power we have been seeking. (and Jesus is within us …… he always was!)
We Are In Charge Of Our lives
If you are not willing to love yourself today, then you are not going to love yourself tomorrow, because whatever excuse you have today, you’ll still have tomorrow.
Maybe you’ll have the same excuse 20 years from now, and even leave this lifetime holding on to the same excuse.
Today is the day you can love yourself totally with no expectations.
Love is something we can choose, the same way we choose anger, or hate, or sadness.
We can choose to forgive someone who has hurt us (cuz they know not what they do.. literally) and begin to finally heal…..
We can choose to be grateful for what we have. (Even if it isn’t exactly what we want at the moment.. with more self love the energy will shift and you will bring heaven to Earth in many areas of your life)….
We can choose love………….SELF LOVE…….. It’s always a choice within us.
ok I choose self love… how do I practice this?
- Become mindful. People who have more self-love tend to know what they think, feel and want. They are mindful of who they are and act on this knowledge, rather than on what others want for them. Truly believe in yourself and your soul mission and stick to that.. period!
- Act on what you need rather than what you want. You love yourself when you can turn away from something that feels good and exciting to what you need to stay strong, centered, and moving forward in your life, instead. By staying focused on what you need, you turn away from automatic behavior patterns that get you into trouble, keep you stuck in the past, and lessen self-love.
- Practice good self-care. You will love yourself more, when you take better care of your basic needs. People high in self-love nourish themselves daily through healthy activities, like sound nutrition, exercise, proper sleep, intimacy and healthy social interactions.
- Set boundaries. AND STICK TO THEM…You’ll love yourself more when you set limits or say no to work, love, or activities that deplete or harm you physically, emotionally and spiritually, or express poorly who you are.
- Protect yourself. Bring the right people into your life. I love the term frenemies that I learned from my younger clients. It describes so well the type of “friends” who take pleasure in your pain and loss rather than in your happiness and success. My suggestion to you here: Get rid of them by choosing to lovingly leave them in the past. There isn’t enough time in your life to waste on people who want to take away the shine on your face that says, “I genuinely love myself and life”. You will love and respect yourself more…. the more difficult people you release from your life… the more your vibration raises and happier more loving people will arrive (when you are happier and more loving of you)
- FORGIVE yourself. We humans can be so hard on ourselves. The downside of taking responsibility for our actions is punishing ourselves too much for mistakes in learning and growing (STOP IT)…. You have to accept your humanness (the fact that you are not perfect), before you can truly love yourself. Practice being less hard on yourself when you make a mistake. Remember, there are no failures, if you have learned and grown from your mistakes; there are only lessons learned.
- Live intentionally……. You will accept and love yourself more, whatever is happening in your life, when you live with purpose and design. Your purpose doesn’t have to be crystal clear to you. If your intention is to live a meaningful and healthy life, you will make decisions that support this intention, and feel good about yourself when you succeed in this purpose. You will love yourself more if you see yourself accomplishing what you set out to do. You need to establish your living intentions, to do this.
If you choose just one or two of these self-love actions to work on, you will begin to accept and love yourself more. Just imagine how much you’ll appreciate you when you exercise these seven-steps to self-love.
It is true that you can only love a person as much as you love yourself.
If you exercise all of the actions of self-love that I describe here, you will allow and encourage others to express themselves in the same way. The more self-love you have for yourself, the better prepared you are for healthy relating. Even more, you will start to attract people and circumstances to you that support your well-being.
Listen… I know this doesn’t happen overnight and in order to truly have self-love, we must re-program our belief system….
ONE DAY AT A TIME… but step by step and day by day….. things will start to flow and life will become more then you ever imagined it could be… JUST BY LOVING YOURSELF!
YOU GOT THIS!!
I LOVE YOU SOUL MUCH